Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

More Musings on a Blizzard

In the last 48 hours Storm Benedict dumped 18" of snow on us, on top of what we had last weekend and the day after Christmas.  We have more than 2' of snow in our yard, undoubtedly a record of some sort.  I ventured out of the house this past Sunday to visit my mother and found myself behind a van being driven by someone who didn't seem familiar with the area.  I noted that his right brake light was out and heard the still, small voice say "Be Careful".  I was careful for about 10 minutes, right up until I took my eyes off him to ponder at why there were so many cars parked on the street in an area that is usually empty.  Turns out that's the place he was looking for. When I looked forward he had stopped, his left blinker on and no right brake light.  I hit my brakes and the car started to slide, it was all black ice.  I closed my eyes at the last minute, gritted my teeth because I was sure the airbag would deploy and damage my face.  Remarkably I hit only the van and none of the cars on the street.  The airbag did not deploy and, though my car is a mess, neither of us were hurt.  The man I hit was actually pretty nice about it.  I hit the right side of his bumper, right under the light that DIDN'T WORK.  Okay, sorry, lost my cool for a second.... 
My husband came to my rescue, brought me to my mother's, we borrowed her car and called AAA for mine.  I told my bro & sis that I had taken one for the team as it's a way to get Mom's car away from her (she still is in rough shape, not even close to being well enough to drive, though she argues that point). 
My lesson in this:  Listen.  LISTEN.  Slow down and listen.  Since August I have tried to pack far too many things into every day to the point that when I find a moment and don't have anything pressing I am at a loss - I don't know what to do.
It is never too late to make resolutions (I am drinking more water and am not getting breakfast in the fastfood lane) now I am resolving to slow down and listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment