Total Pageviews

Friday, November 19, 2010

This "Old" Brain

I began school to be an esthetician six weeks ago and, while I am enjoying the class for the most part, I never dreamed how difficult it would be with respect to homework and stretching my brain to remember the various systems of the body (there are eleven of them), the bones of the head and face (22 out of a total of 206 in our bodies) and the myriad of nerves, arteries and veins of which our bodies are composed.

I have not studied anything in depth in more than 30 years - okay, 35 - and it's tough!  Three hours of homework on average each night, taking tests (tests!) and I have to do a project on one of the systems of the human body.  I can see why people try to finish school before they get married or start a family.  That said, I'm doing well and am happy to go there each day and look forward to the more practical applications of what I'm learning.

Since starting school and exercising my brain I am remembering vivid dreams every morning, something I rarely did before.  I don't know what that's indicative of, if anything, but it's interesting.  This morning's memory was trying to put on a dress to take a belly dancing lesson and I couldn't find anywhere to get changed and when I did find a quiet corner I couldn't figure out how to get the dress on because it had a bodice and laces....it was all very silly.  I guess my mind is in overdrive...I'm sure Freud would have something to say about it but I'm not asking his opinion.

And the biggest question of all:  When I get my business cards done do I spell it "esthetician" or "aesthetician"?  My teacher prefers the latter spelling and that is what is used in most medical settings (that is not my interest), but she likes it because she thinks it's interesting and perhaps quirky in her mind.

My schooling will be completed in April and I will begin my new career - all part of finding my rudder.  30 years of being a secretary is behind me, it served me well but I'm done.  I'm more than thrilled about the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment